Overview: Fidelity Investments is a privately-held firm headquartered in Boston. Its main lines of business include:
- Mutual Funds
- Discount Brokerage
- Retirement Services
- Estate Planning
Job Openings: See this list of current job openings.
Size: Fidelity reported these figures as of March, 2008:
- Employees = over 46,000
- Portfolio Managers, Analysts & Traders = over 500
- Mutual Funds = 450
- Mutual Fund Assets Under Management = $1,353 billion
- Total Assets Under Management = $1,521 billion
- Number of Clients = 24 million
- Number of Client Accounts = 79 million
- Regional Sites (U.S.) = 14
- Investor Centers (U.S.) = 124
Positives: Fidelity is an industry leader, employing the largest force of portfolio managers, analysts and traders in the mutual funds business. It is a major and highly-respected training ground for financial professionals in these fields and others. Employment has continued to expand recently.
Negatives: Fidelity is privately-held, with control still exercised by the founding Johnson family, most notably over leadership positions. This may be a negative for outsiders who aspire to senior management.